Oh, Blogdom, I totally failed at my usual annual wrap-up posts, but I have great reasons! You see, my parents have been in town, and we’ve been having a lot of fun (and eating many delicious foodstuffs), so I just haven’t even had time to sit down and recap my year. And you know, somehow we’ve all survived! It’s like the Mayan apocalypse, but not at all like the Mayan apocalypse, and now I’m going to ask that we all just pretend the last paragraph never happened.
And now, thirteen goals for 2013!
- Paint the bedroom and foyer – I’ve been avoiding these two projects for three years. They will inevitably be nowhere near as painful as I’ve been making them in my head, and the end result will be totally worth it.
- Write at least three silly narrative poems – See unaccomplished 2012 goal: write a draft of a children’s book. Maybe starting small will help.
- Come up with a reasonable budget and stick to it – 2012 was a year of splurging, let’s be honest. In 2013, I’d like to get us back on track financially, and build our future in a smart, sensible, and sustainable way.
- Eat Paleo-ish for one month – From everything I’ve heard and read, an adjusted Paleo diet would probably work wonders for how I feel on a daily basis. I want to try this out and see what happens.
- Deal with the curtain situation from 2012 – My other unaccomplished 2012 goal was putting curtains in the living and dining rooms. The reality is, this is going to be an expensive project. Per goal #3, this will require budgeting and foresight.
- Run/walk a 5K – This is not as intimidating as I’ve made it out to be. In high school, I ran/walked almost this distance every day. And I can totally do it on a treadmill. AND! I regularly walk two to three miles. So really, this is more about signing up for something and committing to it.
- Go on another beach vacation – This could be brief, even. But last year’s beach time was so recuperative for both of us that I think we should do it again in some form.
- Read 10 books for pleasure – This year, I will embrace fiction again. I’ve somehow gotten this weird idea in my head that fiction is lowbrow or some such nonsense, and that needs to cease. I don’t really enjoy nonfiction, and I can eat fiction alive. It makes me happy. So there.
- Create a functional closet situation in our bedroom – Oh gosh, I hate our armoire. Hate hate hate. There isn’t enough space, it doesn’t look nice, and it basically just annoys me. I have a “dream scenario” with our closet situation, and a “we can make this work” scenario. This year, I’d like to pick one and move forward on it.
- Host an “activity party” – I’d like to have a gathering where a bunch of my friends come over and DO something. It could be baking, flower arranging, gift wrapping, or anything else. I’d like to have some creative get-together time.
- Properly store my wedding dress – It is still hanging in the office closet, making me nervous anytime someone approaches that door. Let’s deal with it.
- Throw a great birthday party for the Horse Whisperer’s 35th - We had a great party for his 30th, and I’d love to do something fun and special for his 35th birthday, in late July.
- Lose the weight I gained over the past two years – There’s not much to say here. I think a number of the previous goals relate to this, and it’s honestly the biggest goal I have for 2013. I know it is a cliché, but whatever.
Happy New Year, friends. Here’s to a great 2013 for all of us!