≡ Menu

2014 Goals

I’m entering into this year with the knowledge that it will be a year of huge changes. It’s very strange to see changes so far in advance; for the past several years, changes have just sort of happened, and I’ve rolled with them. Taking time to prepare myself for them has both upsides and downsides. And, because of this, I’ve decided to focus on four big things this year, with a number of mini-goals to support them.

1. Transition healthfully – the move is going to be a big deal. I’d like to survive it, and all its ancillary pieces, in a good place.

• disengage from my current job in a way that makes me feel good
  • say goodbye to the people we love in a way that works for us
  • find a new home that provides what we need, and in which we feel comfortable
  • find a new job that challenges and excites me

2. Be the best version of myself – 2013 was not a year of this. In 2014, I want to feel good and proud of who I am most of the time. In particular:

• laugh more
  • make things
  • be healthy, dealing with issues like allergies, skin problems, and dietary choices in a mature and responsible way
  • be comfortable in my body – move more, and find what makes me feel good

3. Be adventurous – think (and live) outside the box.

• take a surfing lesson
  • try a new craft (I’d love to try weaving or carpentry. I know… I sound insane.)
  • take a dance class
  • visit Mexico

4. Nurture our marriage – someone recently shared some incredible advice with me, which I’ll share another time. It reframed many, many things. This move brings with it some amazing opportunities to relish our “couple-ness,” so I’d like to:

• take more pictures together (there are a whopping FOUR photos of us together from 2013. Eep.)
  • develop “couple hobbies”
  • find a balance of work/life/creativity/productivity
  • be a team

Your turn: any big goals for 2014?

{ 12 comments… add one }

Comments
  • Joe Bob January 1, 2014 at 1:49 pm

This is a great list. Good luck!! I know you can do it. Very exciting to have a new opportunity in Cali for you and the Horse Whisperer. It sounds like it is going to be wonderful! I would be lying if I said I was not a little jealous.

• abbersnail January 3, 2014 at 8:34 am

We really can’t wait for you to come visit us. Make it happen!!! That’s my resolution for you!

• Mary January 1, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I love this post, and you. You can do this! Go get ‘em, tiger. Hugs!

• elizabeth January 2, 2014 at 10:38 am

oooh this is such a great list. having moved and changed jobs in recent history, i think you’ve got such a great approach on all of your big changes this year. i also hope you share the advice you got that inspired #4 at some point, because that sounds like really good stuff. i hope it’s a wonderful year for you!!

• abbersnail January 3, 2014 at 8:34 am

Thanks, Elizabeth. That means so much. And yes, I’ll share the advice soon. It shook me to my core, in a really good way!

• Feisty Harriet January 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Numbers one and four really resonate with me, I love the overarching goal with a couple of bullets underneath, I think it’s wise to focus on a large improvement but also have a little game plan on how to improve. Wishing you and HW all sorts of joy and happiness in this new transition!

xox

• abbersnail January 3, 2014 at 8:35 am

All about strategic planning! Four goals, and action items. I think I’ve been a non-profit project manager for too long to think about goals in any other terms…

• Dagny January 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm

If you want to surf, a woman I knew in college has a surf class in La Jolla. She was a fantastic surfer when we were in college. I regret that I didn’t take her up on her offer to teach me back then.

• abbersnail January 3, 2014 at 8:36 am

Oooh!!! I may take you up on that. I’ve always wanted to learn!

• Marie January 3, 2014 at 6:38 am

That’s a pretty great list. Laugh more is one I tend to always aim for.

Can’t wait to hear about your new adventures!

Oh and Matt and I barely have any pictures together either. I’m the one usually taking all the photos and there’s rarely ever anyone to take one of us. Plus I don’t like being in front of the camera. Although I do love that you’ve put it down to get more pictures taken of the both of you together!

• abbersnail January 3, 2014 at 8:37 am

Yeah, I am always the one behind the camera, too. And, although I don’t tend to love current pictures of myself, I always love old pictures. I realized recently that there won’t be any old pictures if there aren’t current pictures. Does that make sense? Also, it was really depressing working on our Christmas card, only to discover that there was not one decent photo of the two of us. Sheesh.