≡ Menu

A sick day ode to old school blogging

In the land of “old school blogging,” when I shared everything and anything, I would have told you all about the fact that I’m home with a cold. So, let’s party like it’s 2007, and write a stream of consciousness post about a lot of nothing!

For the past year, inertia has kept me moving forward at warp speed. I am really really terrible at slowing down, sitting down, and doing nothing. Sick days used to mean watching marathons of The Office, or something similar. Sick days now, on the other hand, mean making lists, sorting through old clothes, taking down the Christmas tree, and generally prolonging whatever illness I’m fighting. It’s all very mature.

Let’s continue this 2007-style post, and talk about some of the things that I’m worrying about pondering:

1. Will I find a job in San Diego? Will it be a job that I like? Will I get a job quickly enough that I do not have to work at Starbucks in the interim?
  2. Should I keep all of these sweaters? I love them, but will they just take up space?
  3. Moving with cats. I am dreading it. How can I make this easier on everyone? And by “everyone,” I mean “Puck.”
  4. There are many items in our  home that I like, but am considering selling. Will I regret this later? Rarely have I regretted letting go of “stuff,” but I’ve also never let go of big stuff that I actually like. Maybe I should wait until we find our rental house, and then decide.
  5. OH MY GOSH, WE HAVE TO FIND A HOUSE. But not yet! What is the ideal window of time in which to commit to a place for a May 20-ish move-in date???
  6. What happens if I find a good job with a terrible commute? How do we choose a house without any sense of where I’ll be working???
  7. I am going to miss San Francisco so much. I know it will suck every time I see this town on TV. I know that I will have vivid dreams about this place for the rest of my life. It’s so hard and weird leaving somewhere that you love, in the hopes that somewhere else will be even better. What a leap of faith, man.

The list goes on and on, as you can imagine. I’m a Class I worrier planner, so I could do this all day. And then, there are the things that excite me:

1. The Horse Whisperer’s new job. Y’all. For the past many years, we have had seven weekends off together per year. In this new position, we will have between THIRTY FIVE and FORTY weekends off together per year. Be still my heart.
  2. All of these open weekends mean that we’ll be able to do something we have never, ever done before: weekend mini-trips!!!
  3. The beach, and all its accoutrements.
  4. Getting a dog (possibly after a year).
  5. Eventually buying a house.
  6. Experiencing a new place together (we both lived in SF for a few years before meeting, and I’m excited for everything to be new to both of us at the same time).
  7. Being warm again. I have been cold for nine years. And, although I have adjusted, learned to layer, and even learned to enjoy it at times, I am super excited to be warm.
  8. Reserved parking!!!!!! No more circling around and around our neighborhood in an attempt to park our cars and go home!
  9. San Diego has a growing arts scene, and that is really exciting to me. I like making new things, which is the thing I’ve loved most about my current job. I’m excited by the possibility of working to build something that is fresh.
  10. Change. I love change. I crave it. It feels like life exfoliation. Is that gross?

On a completely different note, is anyone else quivering with anticipation over the premieres of Downton Abbey and Sherlock??? I have put both premiere dates in my calendar. H-dubs is not even remotely interested in Downton, but we both adore Sherlock. We’ve watched every episode about a half dozen times, so we’re pumped for new material.

{ 12 comments… add one }

Comments
  • Feisty Harriet January 3, 2014 at 9:31 am

I hope you get feeling better soon! And I really hope you can take a little down time to help with that. You’ve certainly earned it this year, the last 6 weeks especially.

I am so excited about the possibility of together weekends!! How wonderfully exciting! Yay for new opportunities, new possibilities, and change!

xox

• badger reader January 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm

So happy that you are taking this journey together – more weekends together sound heavenly and much deserved. Moving across town gives me the anxiety hives, I am so in awe of you!

• abbersnail January 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

That’s so sweet, but honestly, I suspect that hives are forthcoming. Adulthood is so much fun, don’t you agree?

• Joe Bob January 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Sherlock = YES!!!!!!

• Janet January 3, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I like this old school blogging! Maybe we should all bring it back.

As someone who completely a major move in 2013, you can totally do this. Just go one step at a time and try not to worry too many steps ahead. At least, that’s how I survived it. I’m not sure if you plan to move with a pod-type system, but we LOVED Door-to-Door and my BFF just used them for a cross-country move and had a fantastic experience as well.

I hope everything falls into place as it should. :)

• abbersnail January 4, 2014 at 8:51 am

Oh, that’s excellent advice. HW’s company is allegedly moving us, so we may hire movers, but I’m not 100% positive yet. I’ll keep Door to Door on my list, though. I’ve moved cross country before, but it’s always been with a carload, not a houseload. This will be interesting!

• Sizzle January 4, 2014 at 9:43 am

Moving is stressful & exciting. You might have to pay rent in 2 places with a May 20th move in? It’s a lot to juggle but it’s so exciting. If you need San Diego tips I have a couple friends there I could connect you to. Let me know!

YAY DOWNTON!

• abbersnail January 4, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, we’ve been pondering this. HW has to work at his current job until May 11, and he starts the new one on June 1, so… it’s tricky. I am confident that we can prorate our current set up (our landlord can increase the rent on our place by 350% when we leave, so he’s DELIGHTED by anything), and I’m hoping that we can prorate the new place. We’ll see. Yikes! I’d love to be connected with anyone. I have no idea what we’re in for in terms of the social scene, so I welcome any and all intros.

DOWNTON FOR LIFE!

• Marie January 7, 2014 at 5:54 am

Your top list would sound a lot like what mine would be like! If I were moving that is. You’ll find a job in good time and a very lovely place to live.

As for the cold…it’s 3F where I live in Virginia today so I’m thinking anywhere past 32F is pretty warm right now! (Can’t wait for the weekend and warmer temps.)

I cannot wait for Sherlock! Such a great show.

• Lara January 30, 2014 at 5:00 am

Oh my goodness!! Wow, I have a lot to catch up on! Congratulations to the horse whisperer on his new job!

I’m the last person in the world to advise on moving. For starters, we’ve been in our new house for 6 months and it’s still not unpacked and definitely not even remotely organized. Also, I’m the opposite of you: I’m so averse to change that I am a little verklempt over you not living in SF anymore. Am ridiculous!

I do know this: it will all work out. I promise. And keep your sweaters – you might travel somewhere chilly. :)